The Romans were among the greatest civilisations to exist throughout history. They were great architects, had a superb army and acquired a massive empire. Know the Romans explains all aspects of this exceptional civilisation.
Discover the Romans in a whole host of different ways, use videos to learn about Roman plumbing, and interactive timelines to learn about all the emperors. Or walk around and explore an interactive ancient Roman domus.
The Roman civilisation was said to have begun when Romulus and Remus built Rome in 753BC. As Rome's population began to increase Remus believed that he should have more power, in a quarrel Romulus killed Remus and became the sole king of Rome. Read more about Romulus and Remus.
Ten Interesting Facts about the Romans!
1. Slaves made up at least 25% of Rome's population
2. Hadrian's Wall when built between England and Scotland was 80 miles long
3. Rome originally began as a tiny village around the year 753BC
4. Emperor Nero built a bridge across the dock outside Rome and rode across it on his horse for eight straight hours
5. Only boy's received a formal education past the age of 10
6. Spartacus started a slave revolt which ended up with over 70,000 slaves involved!
7. Asparagus was a highly prized vegetable in ancient Rome
8. Gladiators would say 'Hail Caesar, those about to die salute thee', before each gladiator fight
9. When Rome destroyed Carthage in 126BC they ploughed salt into its soil, to make it a barren land
10. Greek, alongside Latin, was widely spoken throughout the Roman Empire